My band instructor sexually abused me

Attorney Irwin Zalkin of the of Zalkin Law Firm answers the question. I was in band during high school. My band instructor sexually abused me. Is there anything I can do now?

A band instructor is very much like a teacher or is a teacher in most instances. And in some circumstances, they are what’s called an outside contractor to the school, but the rules apply to them equally.
First and foremost, this should be reported to law enforcement, they need to know what happened and they need to conduct a proper investigation. It should also be reported to the school. You need to get help. You need to get counseling.

It’s critical that you get intervention from a professional therapist as soon as possible because the consequences of sexual abuse of a child can be lifelong and life lasting. There are going to be issues with respect to when this happened and if this was a public or private school and what legal steps need to be taken if you’re interested in some sort of compensation for what happened to you from the school. That would require more detail, more information about what school, what type of school and so on.